Aside this one, there are also versions made by SORDIN that are fully waterproof and feature a 360° clip. But these are more expensive though. So know that we’ve had a look at the build quality of both products, let’s get into the features.
5. HEADSET FEATURES
ACTIVE HEARING PROTECTION
Since this is a headset that provides active hearing protection it is also its most important feature. Unlike passive hearing protection that muffles all surrounding sounds, this one selectively blocks hazardous sounds while still allowing you to hear at a normal or even an enhanced level.
This is all possible thanks to the two external microphones that take in the ambient sound. The system then decides to either block it or have it passed through the internal speakers. The sound produced inside these speakers can be adjusted in 5 different volume levels and is maxed out at 82 dB.
And above that, of course this headset also allows you to transmit and receive radio communication as well.
In total wearing the headset as it comes, gives you an SNR or signal-to-noise ratio of 26 decibels. For the neckband version this is 25 dB.
6. HEADSET SPECS
When it comes to the specs of this headset, it can operate in environments from -20°C up to 50°C and even has a class 1 RFI protection rating. This basically means it doesn’t interfere or gets interrupted from surrounding electromagnetic fields. It also has an estimated battery runtime of 600 hours which is almost the double of other brands.
LOW BATTERY WARNING & AUTO SHUT-OFF
The system also warns you if about 40 hours of battery life is left. This is definitely a useful feature since other brands don’t always have this sort of function. And another feature is a switch-off function. If no button has been activated after 4 hours the system automatically switches off which saves battery life.
The good thing here is that it only does that when no button has been used, other headsets have the tendency to shut down even though you use them. Which is not always a very welcome thing at certain moments.
Having talked about the features, let’s give you a more clear idea of what this product does in practice.
For this part we recommend you to watch the video since this is an audiovisual demonstration. The demonstration itself starts at 11:29.
8. FINAL THOUGHTS
- The headset blocks hazardous sounds very well while enhancing your situational awareness which allows you to hear sounds you would normally not perceive. This is not only safer in that way, but also provides you with an advantage.
- It is convenient in use, reliable, robust, produces clear sounds and has excellent noise cancelling for windy conditions.
- When it comes to radio communications we haven’t experienced any issues at all, like for example calls not coming through or messages not going out. Everything worked fine and reliably.
- What really sets this headset apart from its competition is comfort. It is an absolute dream wearing this headset. It is simple to adjust, your ears have enough space to fully fit inside the cups and the headband doesn’t create any pressure points for hours straight.
- This all while staying neatly in place the whole time and continuously providing an excellent seal. And this comfort level will even be increased a bit more with the use of gel cushions which are separately available.
- What’s a bit of a bummer is the fact that it is not easy and pretty expensive to mount it on a helmet with M-LOK or Team Wendy style rails at the moment. But we know SORDIN is working on solutions for this. Of course if you want to run it with an ARC rail system that’s not an issue since SORDIN makes these solutions themselves. But if you’re not planning to mount your headset onto a helmet this one certainly takes first place when it comes to comfort.
All by all, it is an impressive product for a company that has been without R&D for 14 years. And as just said, we are aware they are working on new developments, since their R&D is running again and we’re very excited to see what they’ll come up with in the next couple of years when it comes to these sort of products.